Boat capsize passengers brought ashore safe

Monday, 14. January 2019

IN GOOD HANDS: Passengers are loaded on to an ambulance at Cleveland.TWO crew and nine passengers aboard a charter fishing boat that overturned on the South Passage Bar have been returned safely to the mainland.
Nanjing Night Net

Paramedics met three passengers, one with a badly lacerated head, at Volunteer Rescue Marine headquarters at Cleveland after the men were returned from Dunwich on North Stradbroke Island.

The bedraggled men declined to talk about their early morning experience.

Senior police praised the braveactions of a police officer who dived into the water to help save those on boardwho could not reach life jackets, saying it was lucky everyone was accounted for.

Water police were called to the bar between North Stradbroke and Moreton islands just after 6am.

Bayside Patrol Group Acting Inspector Steve Hollands said there were potentially direconsequences when those on board were thrown into the water.

“The information that we’ve received is that a water police vessel was the first on scene and one of the officers entered the water to assistin extracting all of the persons on to the vessel,” he said.

“My understanding was the actionsof the officer was very brave.

“With any maritime situation, there’s obviously a delay in getting resources out to them, which heightens the risk, so we’re very grateful that all persons were able to be saved.”

One person wasflown to hospital and nine others have received medical treatment.

OVERBOARD: Two of the passengers leave the VMR boat at Cleveland with a Queensland Ambulance Service officer.

The vessel is being towed back to the mainland and investigationscontinue.

​A Queensland Ambulance Service spokeswoman said one man was airlifted to the Princess Alexandra Hospital with spinal precautions, while the other 10 were taken to the Dunwich Health Service Centre for further assessment.

Some passengers from 10-metre Moreton Island Fishing Charters vessel Firebird appeared to be suffering hypothermia, according to police.

Boat owner Mat Hubbard declined to comment.

Inspector Hollands said the vessel itself, the Firebird, was resting on the sand bar and would hopefully be retrieved later in the day.

EARLIER

Initial reports to police said nine passengers and two crew were on board when the vessel overturned between Moreton and North Stradbroke islands about 6am on Wednesday.

A police spokeswoman said all passengers and crew had been accounted for but one man had a serious back injury whileanother had taken in a large amount of water.

SAFE AND SOUND: VMR crewman Robert Cooper of Wellington Point leaves the rescue boat.

The Rescue 500 helicopter had been dispatched to meetwater police as they headed to Dunwich, on North Stradbroke Island.

Queensland Ambulance Service acting operations supervisor Logan Smith said the charter fishing vessel capsized on the South Passage Bar.

Water police and emergency services were sent to the scene after an emergency beacon was activated.

Two people were flown to Brisbane by chopper and theother nine taken to Dunwich on North Stradbroke Island for medical assessment.

Supt Logan said one patient had a substantial scalp injury that needed treatment.

Redland City Bulletin

Thornton childcare centre approved

Monday, 14. January 2019

Maitland Town Hall.Maitland councillors have approved plans for a new childcare centre at Thornton, despite concerns raised by vocal residents.
Nanjing Night Net

All councillors except Henry Meskauskas voted on Wednesday night to approve the Avondale Drive centre, which would cater for up to 58 children aged five and under.

It came after someresidents urged councillors to reject the plan, amid concerns the centre would negatively affect the neighbourhood.

Possible traffic dangers, noise, parking and lighting impacts were among the concerns raised.

David Monk told the meeting that he and his wife had not long moved into their new home when they received a letter saying a childcare centre had been proposed for the two neighbouring blocks.

He said there had been a “number of near misses” with existing traffic levels on Avondale Drive since he had moved in late last year.

“We would not have purchased our block if we’d have known a childcare centre [was being built next door],” Mr Monk said.

A report by council staff noted the centre would operate between 7am and 6pm, Monday to Friday, and that the facility would contain indoor playrooms, amenities, sleeping areas, and two outdoor play areas.

There will be a car park with 15 regular spaces and one space for people with a disability permit.

Another nearby resident, Greg Andrews, said residents feared that increased traffic would put pedestrians and motorists at risk.

He said there had been two traffic incidents in Somerset Drive, which also borders the site, since Christmas.

One of these, Mr Andrews told the meeting, involved a driver losing control on a wet road and the vehicle ending up on one of the blocks where the childcare centre is expected to be built.

“We do not want any more traffic in our area,” he said.

Five submissions were lodged against the childcare centre during the public exhibition period, according to council’s report.

Several conditions are expected to be imposed to allay some of the concerns raised by the residents.

Ultimately, council staff recommended that councillors should approve the centre, which was allowed in the area’s zoning.

“The proposal is considered to be in the public interest as it will be providing additionalchild care facilities for the community and whilst the proposal will have some minorimpacts on the area (noting the land is currently vacant), the proposal provides for apositive social and economic benefit for the growing community of Thornton,” council staff noted.

Several councillors spoke in favour of allowing the childcare centre to go ahead.

Cr Robert Aitchison said he understood the concerns that had been aired, but Maitland was an area with a rapidly growing population.

“It’s compliant and we need the extra childcare places,” he said.

Cr Steve Procter responded to residents’ calls for councillors to vote with their conscience.

“I’m afraid we don’t have the opportunity for a conscience vote,” he said.

“We have to rely on the facts from our professional members of staff.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Minimising risk, raising well-being

Monday, 14. January 2019

SOPHISTICATED IMAGES: Advances in diagnostic ultrasound mean specialists can detect and manage a greater range of issues in pregnancy.
Nanjing Night Net

Advances in diagnostic ultrasound now enable obstetricians and gynaecologists to detect many more things during pregnancy, a lot earlier.

The result has been a significant reduction in risk to both mother and child and the ability to tailor treatment and management plans.

“We’re now able to see a lot more, a lot earlier,” obstetrician Dr George Angus said.

“Whereas 20 years ago ultrasound could detect basic flows, it can now measure blood flows to the baby itself and its organs.

“High risk can be evaluated, and treatments expedited or delayed, thus minimising risks and providing extra management tools.”

Dr Angus cited the example of a patient who had a big bleeding incidentat 29 weeks into the pregnancy.

“Twenty years ago ceasarian section would have been almost automatic,” Dr Angus noted.

“This year I did an ultrasound and was able to detect that the baby was unaffected and so the mother stayed pregnant.

“This gave the baby more time to mature in utero, and thus reduced the likelihood of disabilities and related intensive care issues.”

Advances in ultrasound diagnosis have resulted in two major improvements for the well-being of women in general.

The first involves endometriosis, a painful heavy bleeding due to the lining of the uterus being in the abdomen or uterus muscle.

“Ultrasound can now see where that’s involving the bowel and bladder and enabling us to start treatments earlier,” Dr Angus said.

The second area of advancement is 3D/4D ultrasound for assessing pelvic floor function.

“Diagnostic ultrasound developments now mean our approach can be more precise and thus management of pelvic floor treatments after childbirth can be more tailored to defects.”

Dr Angus has been a practising obstetrician and gynaecologist for 20 years, is based at Newcastle Private Specialist Centre and holds a Diploma of Diagnostic Ultrasound.

He is a graduate of The University of Sydney and completed his specialty training at Royal North Shore Hospital, UKand John Hunter Hospital.

Doyle suffers defeat on V8 backtrack bid

Monday, 14. January 2019

DEFEAT: Greens’ councillor Therese Doyle’s motion to withdraw Newcastle council’s support for the V8 Supercars race was rejected at Wednesday night’s meeting.A GREENS proposal for Newcastle to withdraw its support for the V8 Supercars race has been slapped down amid scenes of outrage from East End residents who decried the council’s “shame”.
Nanjing Night Net

The city’s support for the Newcastle 500 was reaffirmed on Wednesday night after Cr Therese Doyle’s (Greens) motion, citing recent crashes in the sport as a reason why the race should not be held, was rejected by the majority of councillors.

Cr Doyle had argued that the sport was a “highly destructive event” that would “cause harm” to the community, through emissions and noise pollution,when it is held in November.

“There are health risks that are beyond what is reasonable,” she declared.

She also argued that the city had committed too much money to host the race when the business case “doesn’t add up”.

“We should be very careful with the ratepayers’ money,” she said. “It’s a party – it’s a very expensive party – and it’s over very quickly. We bear the financial burden for much longer afterwards.”

Newcastle council’s support for the Supercars race has been reaffirmed despite an attempt to turn back the clock @newcastleheraldpic.twitter南京夜网/v9REp883x1

— Brodie Owen (@Brodie_Owen) April 26, 2017

Cr Michael Osborne (Greens) said the Newcastle 500 would be “held up as an example in universities about how not to consult”.

“We did not consult with the community before we even made that decision [to host the race],” he said. “The Supercars way of consultation is not the way to go.”

Cr Brad Luke (Liberal) said recent crashes in the sport – which included a 12-car pileup at a race in Tasmania earlier this monththat saw one driver taken to hospital –had resulted in no harm to the public.

“The accidents that you’re referring to, there was no public hurt. The only damage done was to the cars,” he told the meeting.

“Those drivers got up and raced the next weekend. The participants take a risk, yes, that is a fact of life.”

Cr Doyle rejected that.

“It’s quite extraordinary that we can think the risk of a fig tree dropping a branch on someone has more risk than the Supercars,” she said.

Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes, who has been publiclycritical of the state government and Destination NSW in its handling of the race, acknowledged that “the first year is going to be the most difficult year”.

“I’m hoping those communication channels [with residents] are improved,” she said. “Community safety is paramount to that process.”

Cr Doyle’s motion was voted againstby all but Greens councillors.

East End residents, who had filled the public galleries, shouted down the council for its “shame”and immediately left the meeting.

“You’re rubbish, rubbish, rubbish,” one woman said.

“Civil action coming, civil action coming, civil action coming,” said another.

Mum’s manslaughter trial

Monday, 14. January 2019

Newcastle courthouse. A HUNTER mother accused of “gross criminal negligence” in the death of her 12-year-old daughter will face a manslaughter trial in Newcastle Supreme Court.
Nanjing Night Net

The woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was represented by solicitor Mark Ramsland when she appeared in Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday.

The woman pleaded not guilty to manslaughter and the matter was committed for trial to the Sydney Supreme Court in June.

The girl’s step-father, who also cannot be identified for legal reasons, was committed for trial on charges of murder and reckless grievous bodily harm during a court appearance on April 12.

A raft of other alleged offences, including seven counts of common assault and 10 counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm,will serve as back-up and related offences when the man faces a trial in the Newcastle Supreme Court either later this year or early in 2018.

The man was arrested several kilometres from the family home on September 23, 2015, two hours after the girl’s mother discovered her daughter dead in her bed.

“I woke up about 5.40pm,” the girl’s mother allegedly told detectives.

“I went into [the girl’s] room and she wouldn’t wake up.

“I touched her and she was cold.”

Prosecutors will allege the girl hadbeen continually physically abused by her step-fatherin the lead-up to her death beforeshe was allegedly bashed by her stepfather and put to bed in the family home.

“He has hit her before,” the mother allegedly told the detectives after the girl’s death.

“He mostly takes her into the bedroom and won’t let me in.

“Sometimes he uses something to hit her with.”

The girl’s mother was arrested in June last year andcharged with her manslaughter after detectives conductedan eight-month investigation into the girl’s life in the lead-up to her death.

It will be alleged the mother showed “gross criminal negligence” by knowing that the girl was being continually physically abused.

According to a statement in the brief of evidence, detectives investigating the death alleged that it “became apparent that [the mother] was complicit in [the girl’s] death”.

“There was further evidence alleging [the step-father] had assaulted the victim a number of times prior to her death,” the statement reads.

The step-father remains in custody, where he has been since his arrest in September, 2015, while the mother remains on conditional bail.

Both will appear in Sydney Supreme Court on June 2 to set a trial date in the Newcastle Supreme Court.